[Yaffs] question...

Author: Ed Sutter
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] question...
Hi,
I have YAFFS running in standalone mode for about a year now.
My underlying memory is NOR, and generally speaking I see a
write rate of about 1Mbyte every 3 seconds. I have not tuned
the underlying flash accesses so I'm sure there's room for
improvement there.

The problem I am having is that as I add files (and remove them)
I notice more and more that the 3 seconds turns into 10-15
seconds occasionally. I assume yaffs is doing some garbage
collection; however it seems to occure a lot more often than
necessary. Is garbage collection likely the culprit? If yes,
is there any tuning that can be done to adjust how often that
is done?

Also, is it correct to observe that the removal of a file takes
essentially the same amount of time as adding a file?

Tx,
Ed