Re: [Yaffs] question...

Author: Ed Sutter
To: Charles Manning
CC: YAFFS ML
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] question...
Charles,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I pulled all the Q&A to the top...

> Are you using Yaffs1 mode of operation? When a file is deleted the
> chunks are marked deleted and when all the chunks in a file are
> deleted, the erasure will occur. This can take some time.

Apparently I am... is_yaffs2 is not set.
Should this be set?
> There is some tuning, but perhaps a better option is to get a
> background thread going for doing the gc. This will clean the decks
> for writes to occur unimpeded.

I didn't see anything in the docs on implementing background garbage
collection when using CONFIG_YAFFS_DIRECT
> How full is the file system?

I've got 32Mbyte for storage, and about 6M used.
> Are you using the "soft delete" feature? This defers the actual
> deletion, but unless you have background gc running, this will just
> move the delays into the gc.

No, disable_soft_del is set to 1.

Anyway, it sounds like what I want to do here is enable soft-delete and
background garbage collection (separate task).
Is there any documentation on that?

Thanks much,
Ed