[Yaffs] Anyone using yaffs in u-boot?

Charles Manning manningc2@actrix.gen.nz
Wed Jun 15 21:05:43 BST 2005

On Thursday 16 June 2005 05:09, Rick Bronson wrote:
> Charles,
>
>   Thanks much for the reply.
>
> > I'm notr sure what Uboot does, but it depends what you're trying to
> > achieve, reading or writing.
> >
> > If you're wanting to read an image during booting (ie. boot from YAFF=
S)
> > then have a look at the bootloader in YAFFS direct.
>
>   Yes, this is what I want to do.
>
>   Can the "YAFFS direct" take a pointer to the actual NAND device
> (ie. the 8 bit port) and extract a file from a partition into ram that
> was previously written via YAFFS on Linux?

The bootloader is really not part of Yaffs Direct, but just lurks in that=
=20
directory.

You still need to provide NAND read functions, but they don't have to be=20
Linux ones. yboot is LGPL to make it easier to integrate with various=20
bootloaders. I recommend too wandering over to the stuff Nick did to hook=
=20
this up with the Balloon project.

In essence, the bootloader (see direct/yboot.c)  is a stripped version of=
 the=20
yaffs mount scanner, but instead of searching for, and building up, all t=
he=20
files it just looks for the file you want. As it is at present it has som=
e=20
limitations (eg. can only boot from an image in the root).

>   Unfortunately I'm stuck at a 2.4.19 kernel for now, is this a
> problem for the latest and greatest YAFFS?

All such problems should be in mtd land. YAFFS is pretty version agnostic=
. It=20
you have a working mtd then you should be good to go.

-- Charles