[Yaffs] Storing of OOD data on NAND

+ (text/html)
Author: hcgoffo2@rockwellcollins.com
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] Storing of OOD data on NAND
I am in the middle of writing the driver to store the ood data into the
spare area on flash.

Does the YAFFS2 structure already take into account the bad block marker
in the first byte? or should I save the data at an offset so that the
first byte is not touched?

>From what I see, the structure of the ood is as follows: (Which is NOT

what is shown in the Yaffs2 Specification document)

struct yaffs_packed_tags2_tags_only {
    unsigned int seq_number;
    unsigned int obj_id;
    unsigned int chunk_id;
    unsigned int n_bytes;
}

This data is passed to the driver to store. Which means that the
seq_number value ends up being programmed where the bad block marker is.
which is not good, as ONFI spec says if the bad block marker ( first byte
if the spare area in the first page of a block) is not 0XFF, the block is
bad and should not be used.

I was thinking of modifying the above structure it add an unsigned int to
account for the bad block marker position. and whe writting, setting it to
0xFF.

Is this correct, or is there another structure I should be looking at?

Thanks

Henry C Gofforth / Pr Software Engineer / Air Transport Displays Software
4
MS 131-102, Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Phone: 319-295-0373 / VPN: 295-0373 / Fax: 319-295-8100

www.rockwellcollins.com