Re: [Yaffs] Fwd: yaffs technical support

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
CC: roy basavaraju
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Fwd: yaffs technical support
Do you mean mkyaffsimage?
It is a long time since I tried to do something like that but it should be
relatively easy to accomplish and I know that some people have accomplished
very similar things in the past.

The major issues you will encounter is that mkyaffsimage uses posix style
functions to access the file system and also understands posix file types
such as devices, pipes, symbolic and hard links which Windows does not
understand.

Using Cygwin will make things a bit simpler too.

mkyaffs is another matter entirely. mkyaffs is designed to run on a Linux
machine as it uses the Linux mtd layer which will not be present on a Windows
PC. You really are unlikely to be wanting to do this anyway.

mkyaffs does two things:
* "Format" the flash by erasing it.
* Copy in an optional image.

If you are not using Linux then there are other ways to accomplish what you
want here:

1) "Formatting":
* Just erase the flash.
2) Create an image file:
* Erase flash.
* Mount flash
* Write required file structures to yaffs file system.
* Unmount
* Take a binary dump of the flash.

-- Charles