Autor: Rakhi Rathi
To: Charles Manning
CC: yaffs
Betreff: Re: [Yaffs] YAFFS2 boot loader
Thanks Charles.

I would like to explain my problem in detail!

I want to use YAFFS2 as flash file system.

I need to store two stage boot loader in NAND. Stage - 1 bootloader stored
(First 4k code can be loaded in Internal RAM ) in block 0, which is
responsible to copy the stage -2 boot loader from other portion of the NAND
to SDRAM and pass control to it for execution. Stage - 2 boot loader is
responsible initializing peripherals and booting up kernel image.

Design Approach - 1 : Have separate partitions for Stage -2 boot loader ,
kernel image and root file system.

Advantage:- kernel images can be loaded using TFTP / FTP support available
in boot loader.

Disadvantage:- If only 'n' number of blocks are allocated for loading kernel
image and all the allocated blocks goes bad after some program / erase
cycles then you can not load kernel image again!

Design Approach 2: have two partition boot and root. Bootloader will mount
root partition and boot the kernel image!

Advantage:- Kernel image program / erase is not restricted to some partition
space!

Disadvantage: - As root file system can be mounted only as read only from
boot loader. I can not reload kernel image from boot loader. I need to flash
entire root file system again!

What efforts are required to mount root file system as read / write from
boot loader?

How mkyaffs utility works? How it marks bad block when first time it is used
to flash the images
on NAND flash?

--Rakhi