Autor: Martin Egholm Nielsen
To: yaffs
Betreff: Re: [Yaffs] Writing a single file marks entire device as bad
Hi Charles,

>>I've been trying to patch my 2.4.20 kernel with the YAFFS source from CVS.
>>I've got it up and spinning - sort of! :-)

=== 8< 8< 8< ===
>>If I try to write any data to the device - e.g. "echo bah > someFile", I
>>get the following million messages:
>>
>>=== 8< 8< 8< ===
>>**>> yaffs chunk 65373 was not erased
>>**>> yaffs chunk 65374 was not erased
>>**>> yaffs chunk 65375 was not erased
>>**>> Block 2042 retired
>>**>> yaffs write required 64862 attempts
>>and the entire device is marked bad.
> This is almost 100% guaranteed an ECC clash between mtd ecc checking and YAFFS
> ecc checking.

Super! :-)

>>My mtd-kernel-source is from CVS-2005-03-04...
>>I'm suspecting the ecc/oob management, but have no clue to how to
>>disable it?!
>>The yaffs-rootfs-howto states that this is "fixed" in the latest mtd
>>cvs, but the document has no date, so it's difficult to say what
>>"latest" means ;-)

> The most important thing to do here is to turn off ECC in either YAFFS or mtd.
> I would suggest searching the list archives for responses by Nick Bane on this
> matter,

I just kinda gave up when I discovered that the archive didn't have a
search function:
http://www.aleph1.co.uk/pipermail/yaffs/
But turning to google, I found the two config parameters:

CONFIG_YAFFS_USE_NANDECC
CONFIG_MTD_NAND_VERIFY_WRITE

I guess these should do it!

I'll try that in the morrow...