[Yaffs] Why does YAFFS skip the first block?

Coywolf Qi Hunt coywolf@lovecn.org
Wed Jun 22 04:09:57 BST 2005

On 6/22/05, Charles Manning <manningc2@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
<snip>
> There is nothing technically wrong with using block zero from a memory/NA=
ND
> perspective.  At the end of the day, file system integrity is governed by=
 the
> performance of the worst block and not the best block. Block zero is only
> guaranteed good at the time of shipping and can go bad with time.  Also,
> many/most systems use block zero for some other purpose (eg. boot data or=
 bad
> block marker). Thus, relying on chunk zero being good is pointless.

Is it that the code in the block 0 can be executed in place for
booting?  We may consider supporting partitions.

As to bad block marker issue, using a fixed block for that purpose is
against wear leveling and not reliable.  Bad block information always
can be gathered through oob area.

--=20
Coywolf Qi Hunt
http://ahbl.org/~coywolf/