[Yaffs] Problem with file attributes

Charles Manning manningc2@actrix.gen.nz
Tue Jun 21 04:16:33 BST 2005

On Sunday 19 June 2005 02:54, Frank Lehmann wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> just now I changed from 'jffs2' to 'yaffs'. Up to now no problems occur=
red
> during compiling and setting up my embedded system with 'yaffs' NAND fl=
ash
> partitions in combination with kernel 2.4.25. The MTD driver is working
> fine. Installing and mounting 'yaffs' partitions performed very well.
> No errors when reading from or writing to 'yaffs' partitions. As far as
> good!
>
> Unfortunately at the end of the day one problem came up. All files or
> directories I create as user (not 'root') are assigned to 'root'.
> For example if I am user 'abc' and I create a file or if I transfer a f=
ile
> via FTP to the 'yaffs' partition to any directory which doesn't belong =
> group or user 'root', I always get assigned user and group 'root' to th=
at
> file. After that I can change permissions, user and group.
>
> Even if I use the setgid and setuid flags (6755) of a directory which
> belongs to user 'abc' and group 'xyz' and where I create or transfer a
> file, the result is always the same. The new file belongs to 'root'.
>
> It seems that after remounting everything is fine.
>
> My expectation was that 'yaffs' handles the file/directory attributes i=
> same way like other file systems. Maybe I am wrong?

The intention is to have YAFFS doing attribute handling just the same as =
any=20
other fs. Any wierdo behaviour like you report here is a bug.

YAFFS does jump through a few hoops because it does not use inodes and=20
dentries internally, but that is supposed to be sorted out by the YAFFS f=
s=20
layer.

Can anyone confirm these problems on the same or other Linux versions?

-- CHarles