[Yaffs] Re: Bad eraseblock

Sergei Sharonov sergei.sharonov@halliburton.com
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:03:06 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

> The MTDutils will help you with the erasing. I'm not sure if anyone has
> actually hacked a tool foris job yet or if you have to mess with nandwrite
> so that it will let you nobble the bad blocks.

You need to hack both flash_eraseall and mtd (nand_base.c : nand_erase_nand())
to bypass bad block checking. I've done that and others did as well. You
supposedly may kill the chip by doing that but I have not seen this happen.

> Of course it could be some other problem, but mismatched ECC is the most
> usual cause of this sort of thing.

YAFFS may wrongly create bad blocks under power cycling but not as many
you see.

Sergei