[Yaffs] Re: yaffs2 status

Wookey wookey@aleph1.co.uk
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:53:20 +0100

+++ Sergei Sharonov [05-04-14 10:33 -0500]:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on ARM9/linux2.6.10 based system with a large
> (256 MByte) NAND storage. Currently the filesystem used is jffs2.
> Unfortunately the mount time is unacceptably long and I am
> looking for an alternative. Can anybody comment on status
> of YAFFS2? Note that version 2 is required since NAND page
> size is 2 k.

People are using YAFFS2 successfully. I'm not sure if any commercial products
have actually shipped with it yet, but it is now tested and functional.

For best mount-time splitting your flash into more than one partition is
often smart so you can boot from a small partition and give user feedback
whilst mounting a larger data partition. Obviously this doesn't suit all
applications.

We do have a plan for implementing checkpointing for much faster booting
(under normal circumstances) but this work has not yet been sponsored by
anyone.

Wookey