[Yaffs-archive] Re: About the bootloader

Edward J. Lee noshel@idis.co.kr
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 09:28:42 +0900

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Nick Bane &#50420; &#44544;:<br>
    <pre wrap="">Now here's the question:
I'm trying to make it bootable with my NAND flash chip,
I read the documentation pages, and I'm totally lost.
I cant understand almost anything about booting.

Managed to get the up-to-date mtd cvs source codes and the
yaffs stuff, and can mount my NAND device by /dev/mtdblockx.
I can also boot by storing raw boot data in the chip, but this won't do.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->The problem is?</pre>
The problem is, as long as the boot data might be damaged, I think I'll
have to get<br>
YAFFS managing the boot image. So I guess storing raw data on the chip
would not<br>
be appropriate. :D<br>
  <pre wrap="">

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I need some help about booting.

Could anybody help me with providing me the steps?

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->You need to build a yaffs image of the root fs. You do that by using the
utility mkyaffsimage on a source tree. This builds a stream of page+oob
records that can be pumped into a nand partition.

You can either modify a boot loader to do this (my choice as I don't want to
support any other root device) or use the utility mkyaffs to format and
upload the image created by mkyaffsimage from a running linux kernel - then
all you need to do is alter the root=/dev/mtdblockX kernel command line
parameter to reflect the new partition to use as rootfs.

If you want more help, please indicate a bit more specifically what problems
you are having.

Nick Bane
  </pre>
Thanks for the help, but here's another problem. First of all, I'll
need to get YAFFS <br>
support into the kernel, but the instructions given in the docs won't
work. I found and <br>
reported some typos, but I guess there's more wrong things I didn't
manage to find.<br>
After compiling the kernel sources with 'Yaffs fs support' on, I looked
up the [linux]/fs/yaffs<br>
directory and realized that nothing happened. (no object files!) Maybe
something's wrong <br>
with the Makefile, I guess.. (I'm not that friendly with Makefiles heh
heh :)<br>
Using YAFFS as a module, works out excellent. All I need for now is
kernel support.<br>
Thanks.<br>
  <pre wrap="">
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Ed.

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->(<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.toby-churchill.org">www.toby-churchill.org</a>).
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">If mailing list membership is no longer wanted you can remove yourself
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->from the list by
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">sending an email to <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:yaffs-request@toby-churchill.org">yaffs-request@toby-churchill.org</a> with the text
    </pre>
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">(without the quotes) as the subject.

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->

  </pre>